GENET PORNO Yvan Greenberg / Laboratory Theater
GENET PORNO ran from September 9-26, 2015 in the Dorothy B. Williams Theatre.
About the show
Love and betrayal are no strangers to Divine, the cross-dressing gay prostitute at the heart of Jean Genet’s 1943 novel, Our Lady of the Flowers. Her story of forsaken desire collides with the 21st century confessional video blog of a real-life gay porn star in GENET PORNO. The psychosexual melodrama exposes our contemporary culture of narcissism and the consequences of blurring our public and private lives in an epic emotional journey from light into darkness.
Director: Yvan Greenberg
Performers: Oleg Dubson, Yvan Greenberg, Joe Joseph
Lighting Designer: Ayumu “Poe” Saegusa
Sound Design and Video Projection: Yvan Greenberg
- “There's a beautiful madness to Greenberg's vision, furthered by the balletic quality with which he blocks the actors and conventionalizes sex.”
- — Zachary Stewart, TheaterMania
- “Anyone who wants to see an extraordinary unique piece of theatrical art should not miss Genet Porno.”
- — Joe Regan Jr., Theatre Pizzazz
- “Greenberg, through Genet, and even mumbling Damon Dogg, is slicing open contemporary queer life to locate its current maladies and potentials for transcendence. The results must have frustrated him, and his gift is that he turned around and presented his findings to the audience without prettying them up.”
- — Eric Marlin, New York Theatre Review